All teachers deliver the music national curriculum to their class. They are supported by our music subject leader, Miss McCann, who had a career in music theatre before becoming a primary school teacher.
Children from Year 3 to Year 6 are given the opportunity to join the school choir. This is led by Miss McCann before school on Tuesday mornings. Those who wish to sing more of a classical repertoire and are keen to take part in occasional services on a Sunday at St Michael’s Church start their rehearsal 15 minutes earlier to rehearse repertoire with Colin Hamling, the organist at the church.
The choir perform at many events during the school year:
- Harvest service at the church and at St Albans Abbey in October
- School Christmas fair in December
- Carol singing in the town centre, the church and at a local care home in December
- ‘Young Voices’ concert at the O2 in February
- Alban Arena concert in March
- School summer fair in June
- St Michael’s Folk Evening in July
All children in Year 3 learn to play the recorder
Tenor horn lessons
All children in Year 5 learn to play the tenor horn
All children from Year 3 upwards are given the opportunity to learn a musical instrument via Musicale. Tuition currently includes guitar, clarinet, trumpet and piano.
Every Friday in our whole school assembly we celebrate any ‘out of school’ musical achievements, such as music or dance exams passed.